Saturday, May 3, 2014

Understanding God's plan

"Sometimes the only way the good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them"-Ven. Fulton Sheen

When we step back and look back on our lives, no matter how long or short they may have been, we can see how God has worked through our suffering in order to bring us closer to Him.  Unfortunately, God has to allow things to happen, in order to mold us into who we were meant to be.  "But now, O LORD, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand." Isaiah 64:8.  Many people fight these trials, or become angry with God, but some accept them and use them to their benefit.  When we step back and understand that we are not fully in control and that everything God does is good (always, all the time), we are closer to experiencing the pure joy, which we desire.

"For one pain endured with joy, we shall love the good God more forever."-St. Therese of Lisieux

The lives of the great saints are filled with stories of pain and suffering.  It was through these trials, which they fully accepted, that they were able to obtain the graces necessary to reach holiness.  In much of the Christian world, people believe that suffering must mean a lack of faith.  Because, God would never allow those closest to Him be harmed, right?  But, wait... What was the fate of the apostles (fate of apostles here)?  What about those martyred in the early Church?  What about those killed today?   St. Paul says in Colossians 1:24“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church”.  St. Paul understands that suffering for Christ's sake, the most noble cause, is what God had intended.  God showed us how to do so Himself.  Thus, we must also take up our cross and offer our suffering to God.  

"Christ also suffered for (us), leaving (us) an example so that (we) should follow in his steps"- 1Pet.2:21.

Now, as I step back and apply this to my own life, I am able to make much more sense of things.  I am so grateful for my suffering, for God has molded me and brought me closer to Him.  If bad things were not allowed to happen, I may have never clung to Him.  If I had not suffered, I would not be grateful for the comfort I feel today.  I am sure most of us have reached a point in our lives, whether it be illness, emotional or physical pain, when we step back and say, "Wow, I will be much more grateful for the comfort I will feel once this is over".  Or, "I wish I would have had a better attitude before this happened."  In these moments God is with us.  He understands the pain, no matter how insignificant we may think it is because he experienced the worst during His time on Earth.

"When it is all over you will not regret having suffered; rather you will regret having suffered so little, and suffered that little so badly."-St. Sebastian Valfre

I have had my heart broken many times, but it was only through these times that I allowed myself to be changed by God.  Once you loose everything, you have nothing else to loose.  This can be a great blessing, because this means there are less obstacles to holiness.  When I first came back to the Catholic Church, I had to submit myself fully, which the Church asks of us.  I had to step out of my comfort zone and loose my sense of pride to be able to surrender to the Church God founded Himself.  There were many teachings I struggled with, but I had to allow God to give me the wisdom to understand.  I had a lack of faith in many ways, which I had to pray for.  The most beautiful thing God did for me, was make sense of my past and use it to teach me.

"We are at Jesus' disposal. If he wants you to be sick in bed, if he wants you to proclaim His work in the street, if he wants you to clean the toilets all day, that's all right, everything is all right. We must say, "I belong to you. You can do whatever you like." And this ..is our strength, and this is the joy of the Lord." -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

It has been written that Blessed Mother Theresa had feet that were poorly deformed.  Why?  Because the mission she worked for received shipments of donated shoes to be distributed to whoever needed them.  She used to dig through the shoes, to find the worst pair and wear them herself, no matter how bad they fit her.  She did this so no one else would have to wear them.  The others would get the best instead of the worst.  Now, I may not be called to do this myself, but when I complain about the littlest things God asks of me, I should really feel a sense of shame when in comparison to this incredible woman.  We live in a world that teaches us selfishness, so when we realize our attachment to things of this world, we must look to Christ and the saints, like Bl Mother Teresa, who imitate pure love and selflessness.

When I complain of the lack of sleep due to having a newborn, I must remember those who do not have a child (they pray to have), to wake them up.  When I complain of illness, I must be aware of those around me who suffer much more than I.  When I complain of boredom, I must read about those who suffer all over the world for basic things I take for granted.  When I am satisfied, I must find more ways to do more work for God.  When I want more, I must give away.  When I am afraid, I must trust God, always.  When I struggle, I must take up my cross and follow Him (and pray, a lot).  If I must suffer, it is God's will.  The opposite of what this world teaches us, it what will bring us true happiness.

Lastly, when I start to complain, I must go back and read this blog, which I'm sure will benefit me in the future. ;)

Explanation of the fall of man in the Catechism
Offering it up  Fisheaters

1 comment: